Friday, July 2, 2010

Etsyblogger Carnival - the 4th of July

Today's carnival is hosted by Dizzy Dragonflies and the theme choices were:1) What does july 4th mean to you?
2) July's birthstone is the ruby which symbolizes contentment, blog about the color red/ruby/or what makes you happy.

I'm going with the 4th. I'll start off by telling you that I am not a big fan of holidays. Christmas is good because I love to give people things and Halloween rocks for all the dress up & spooky play. But everything else is either ignored or just a great excuse to get together with family. The 4th of July falls into that last category.

My parents put in a pool back in the early/mid 80s. And thus the tradition of a 4th of July pool party began. Family heads on over, brings food, drink, lawn chairs and proceeds to chat & swim all day - and sometimes well into the night. In the beginning there were my parents siblings - usually about half could make it - and all their kids. Over the years, my generation has tacked on quite a few guests via spouses/partners/"outlaws" (more fun than in-laws) and kids. This year is a mid sized get together with about 40 people. Yup, 40. update: 48. *see below if interested in the total possible*

Many on my Mom's side have migrated north for the summertime fun. My Dad's side tends to be the majority. There are only about 5 family sets that do not live close by. I always thought these types of get togethers were normal. As I got older I realized, not so much, no. I love hanging out with my family. I have a fantastic bunch of aunt & uncles & cousins - all of which added on some more great outlaws to the family. And the munchkins? Wowsers. What an awesome gaggle of kiddos.

I may sound like a party pooper to many of you, but I can so do without the parade portion of the 4th of July. It was never a part of things until hubby came along. Good thing he & his family are worth it :) So the dreaded parade is now a part of my 4th of July. The celebration attitude is fine, but I would prefer some creative goodies for the attitude portion of the festivities. Any of these would do just fine:

4th of July Pennant by Orange Groove


4th of July Fireworks Ceramic Tile Coasters by Crafts by Kristin



Red, White and Blue Light by Paula Product



Berry Wreath Napkin Rings by Itty Bitty Booties


For those interested...the family count:
...1 top of the line Grandma; immediate family: 10;
Dad's side: 5 siblings + 5 outlaws, 12.6 cousins + 6 outlaws, 13.6ish munchkins;
Mom's side: 4 siblings + 4 outlaws, 10 cousins + 9 outlaws, 17ish munchkins;
...so 95...'ish ...plus 2 partially done...is the total possible.
Yes, our general get togethers tend to be larger than many reunions. And we do this a few times a year. The 4th, Christmas Eve (dad), Christmas (mom), Easter & Thanksgiving (every other year is the large one, but only around 10-20). Oh, and another pool party for Labor Day. And the occasional landmark birthday or anniversary. I think that's it :p
I almost feel sorry for new family entering in...that is a lot of names to remember. And please, no quizzing me.

5 comments:

  1. sounds like loads of fun. Growing up, family and more family used to get together all the time. But now that almost everyone seems to have moved, and I don't have money for long trips, we only get together for weddings and funerals. Yes, it's sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for including me in your find!
    Happy 4th Of July to you!
    -Paula
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaulaProduct

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pool party sounds like a lot of fun! I like your finds too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time you'll have! You are very lucky to be so close to all your family! All of my immediate family lives near so we do lots of get togethers as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by and said hi