Thursday, December 17, 2009

Blogfire: Reflections

This carnival, which I am not late for...for a change...is wide open. It is a look back on 2009. Not sure my melty brain can remember that far back, but I'll give it a go.

see? told you...melty brain..

Crafty/biz wise...I think it was a pretty good year. Although I technically started Tilt in September '08, it wasn't until the start of '09 that it felt started. Sure, I had sold some things in '08 & started the blog, but it was only after a few months online & with teammates from Etsy (my only venue at the time) did I feel like I even had a clue as to what I was doing. When I started, I never made more than one bag of a style. I quickly learned that the look it gave online was too "messy", so I tried to trim down the number of styles. There are a few clearance items that are still trying to find a home and I am still narrowing things down, but I am getting there. Starting 2010 I will only be making backpacks, clutches, my new zippy purse, Janet/Venus handbags, Ann evening handbags, zip pouches and maybe a large hobo'ish bag....hmm, still need to work on the narrowing...but expanding into non-bag items like quilts, table runners, coasters & fabric baskets.

btw...that's my 1st Artfire sale...it was in'09,which is also the year I joined :P

Blog wise...I have been having fun. For a while I was part of a couple Ning groups that helped promote each other. I started my Tilt's Creations blog where I (try) to focus on what I make and leave this blog for my life, family, promoting others & whatever else pops into my head. I've "met" lots of great people through my blogging teams & have learned lots more about computer useage. That may come in handy when I have to go back to work.

Work - that leads me into the icky parts of '09. Financially, we got, um, let's just say it was not good...this blog is family rated after all. My youngest had to go through some speech & physical therapy for a couple years. The first year gave us no problems. But '09 was another story. While his learning to talk & function physically is worth every penny...it turned out to be many more pennies than it was supposed to....like many paychecks more. Thank you United Health Care. You can suck it! Ok, there goes the family rating :P
Then the cherry on top - this year's medical insurance premiums were not taken out all year...so it all came out at once last paycheck..it was now & pre-tax or spread out next year post-tax....huge bottom line difference.
So - end result - I may need to go back to work before we planned. Crossing our fingers & budgeting like fools, maybe we can make it until kiddo starts Kindergarten. We were hoping to wait until 1st grade, but one year early is not too bad.

Family wise...my oldest grew like a weed. He went from this sweet young boy to this taller than me man-boy practically overnight...still sweet though. I tear up just looking at him & how much he has grown - both inside & out. He knows who he is & what he wants way more than I ever did at his age. A mother could not be more proud. He is one fantastic son.
And the little guy? Those therapy sessions really did their job...like a lot. He never stops talking...n.e.v.e.r. And most of what comes out of his mouth is not only amusing & hilarious, but so much older than his years.
I can't wait to see what these two do next year.

I think that's about it. Except for lots and lots and lots and lots of trying to keep up with the everyday & failing miserably. But at least my bags are looking great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped by and said hi