Friday, May 29, 2009

My Favorite Salad


So this is not exactly a traditional recipe. But I just love this simple salad & have been eating it so much lately that I thought I'd share. And to be honest, the biggest reason for eating it so much lately is, well, laziness. I just have not felt like cooking this past week or so. The youngest is done with preschool and already bored. The constant rain has not helped. Time to sew has not been easy to find...I guess even cooking is getting the short straw to make time for me...me me me. Yup - that whole 2 hours spread through out the day of just me...ahhh, kids - gotta love 'em.

Anyway - the salad:
  • Lettuce - anything but Iceburg
  • Dried cranberries (or apples - green/Granny Smith)
  • Crumbled blue cheese
  • Walnuts - no sugary or salty crud added
  • Dressing - just a teeny bit - I found a great Blue Cheese by Walden Farms...calorie free, sugar free, carb free, gluten free, cholesterol free & no preservatives - and yes, it actually tastes great!
    ...note: I have used a mild vinagrette sometimes too.
What is your fave salad? I am always on the lookout for more combos :)

4 comments:

  1. That salad looks delicious and healthy! One of my favorite salads is baked goat cheese rounds on top of just lettuce and your favorite vinaigrette. I buy a goat cheese log at Costco as it's 1/2 price there compared to the grocery store. Slice into rounds (slice with dental floss) into 1/4" to 1/3" thickness; one small log of goat cheese will usually slice into about 8 rounds. Dredge in olive oil then bread crumbs (plain or seasoned); then bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or so until they are warmed through (take them out of oven before they melt). Place 1 to 2 rounds on each salad; enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad looks so good and perfect for summer! I'm not sure I have a favorite salad unless taco salad counts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the new combo! I always stick to the basics like tomato and ham. This sounds like a nice change up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had salads like that before and they are amazingly delicious. Why not be "lazy" when lazy is so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by and said hi