Saturday, January 15, 2011

This Week's Workout

A while back I mentioned working out more regularly. And I have been. There was some stumbling around the holidays. More because of everyone being home than the holidays themselves. But I am back into it and have decided to post my workouts. I think it might help me stay on track.

I do cardio - mostly stationary bike and elliptical - for an hour at least 4 days a week. On the days with a longer weight routine, I may bring the cardio down to 30 minutes. The strength training tends to have enough circuit quality to keep that heart rate up just fine :P

So, this week's 30 minute routine is going to be done 3 days a week: (Normally the "weeks" will start on Tuesdays)
  1. Plate presses: 12 reps, 3 sets, 30 sec rest
    ...Chest press on bench with grip plate

  2. V-grip lat pull down (12 reps) & reverse fly burn* with tubing: 3 sets, where a set is both exercises, brief rest between
    ...Lat pull down with rope attachment
    Using tubing around pole, quickly do reverse flys w/arms straight

  3. Lunges with dumbbell hammer curl walks: 12 reps, 3 sets, 30 sec rest
    ...This is a walking lunge with hammer curls on the step forward

  4. Stability ball with dumbbell "power clean": 12 reps, 3 sets, 30 sec rest
    ...Standing at a wall with the ball at my lower back, squat down with "catch" (curl weights as fall down), on the up raise weights above head. Reset and repeat.
    Very awkward for me at first, you don't need much weight - gets the heart rate way up there...you do these quickly.

  5. Barbell curls (12 reps) & tubing curl burn*: 2-3 sets, no rest b/w
    ...basic curl, w/tubing either place under feet or at low point on a pole or something

  6. Diamond medicine ball push up: 12 reps, 3 sets, 30 sec rest
    ...push up w/hands forming diamond on ball...works the core too :)

  7. Bosu ball half burpees: 12 reps, 3 sets, 30 sec rest
    ...Burpee: push up type position with hands on the Bosu, "jump" legs in towards you and back out...it looks weird and a bit awkward, but tough (like pic, but hands are on Bosu and don't jump as far in towards chest)

  8. Medicine ball cross choppers: 12 reps each side, 3 sets, 30 sec rest
    ...Sideways lunge position, keeps arms straight & "chop" the ball out and into the knee quickly...like chopping a tree, or so I am told. I have never chopped a tree.

  9. Medicine ball sit up toss on bench: 12 reps, 2-3 sets, 30 sec rest
    These are fun...and you need a partner. Holding the ball, throw it from chest to partner, they toss it back & as you catch it, lay back (not all the way) & then sit up & throw it back again. And if you lose it and fall back, you are just laying down on the bench...trust me on this one :P

*burn: simply means to do this exercise rapidly until it burns...and then do 5 more :P

3 comments:

  1. WOW! that is some workout! A whole hour of cardio?! I think I've never done that. When I belonged to the YMCA, I took 1 hr classes and we changed up our routine.

    Good For You! You are an inspiration. When DH gets a job, maybe we'll both join the Y again! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a workout! An hour on the elliptical would kill me! 45 minutes is about all I can take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say workout...youre REALLY mean workout! Way to go!!!
    I'd love to work myself up to 1 hr on the treadmill. But I need to add the weights too...I hate the weights!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by and said hi