Friday, July 3, 2009

Etsybloggers Carnival: Favorite Summer Recipe


This carnival's theme is our favorite summer recipe or top 5 things of summer. I can't think of 5 things I like about summer...I am not good with heat. Loved summer back when I was in school, of course. Not so much now. So, I am going for the food.

I almost wrote my Orzo Salad, since that is the dish I always bring to get togethers....but I already posted that before (click her if you are interested). So I am going with my fave food to cool off...Watermelon Ice. I ran across this recipe a couple years ago - back when my BFF & I got together every Thursday (we always made a yummies for the evening). It is a great alternative to the higher fat ice cream...but if you are diabetic, either look away or break out the Splenda.


Makes 8 servings, 1/2 cup each

ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 1 hour (using an ice cream maker)...I tend to make mine the night before or earlier in the day

EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate...but can get sticky

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups diced seedless watermelon (about 3 pounds with the rind)
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoon lime juice

1. Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a glass measuring cup and let cool slightly.

2. Puree watermelon in a food processor or blender, in batches, pulsing until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.

3.Whisk in the cooled sugar syrup, yogurt and lime juice until combined. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into another large bowl, whisking to release all juice....I tend to not only whisk, but squoosh the watermelon down into the mesh with the bottom of a spoon. Discard pulp.

4.Pour the extracted juices into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.

...Alternatively, pour into a shallow metal pan and freeze until solid, about 6 hours or overnight.Remove from freezer to defrost slightly, 5 minutes. Break into small chunks and process in a food processor, in batches, until smooth and creamy.
note: when I make beforehand, I do not process this second time...it's just fine in chunks

Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and freeze for up to 2 hours.


NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 74 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 21 mg sodium; 155 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit

MAKE AHEAD TIP: If frozen longer than 2 hours, break into chunks and puree in a food processor until smooth before serving.

recipe from Eating well

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a great treat for the heat. Yes, I could do with less 100 degree weather! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful summer treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds delightful. Must try this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by and said hi